Although dogs are animals that can be human friends, not a few dogs who like to bite and behave fiercely. According to the US Center for Disease Control, one in five dog bites can have severe consequences and require immediate treatment. Additionally, if you’ve got bitten by someone else’s dog, we recommend you to hire the best dog bite attorney in Los Angeles.
Based on medical conditions a dog bite can result in injury in three stages, including:
1. Initial stage
This stage is characterized by pain around the dog bite area. Some limbs can feel numbness and headaches.
2. The ecstasy stage
People who are bitten by a dog will feel restless, experience hallucinations, and there are changes in tone of voice.
3. Paralytic stage
If at this stage people can faint, be unconscious, continue to be agitated, and even experience death.
Hydrophobia is not one of the stages and only occurs when the person being bitten is infected with rabies. The person will suddenly have a phobia in water. Even if someone feels normal after 10 days of bites, you should still see a doctor to see rabies infection.
Then, how to deal with dog bites? After being bitten by a dog, you should immediately do these steps below.
1. Wash the bite wound using soap or water for at least 10 minutes.
2. Use an antiseptic, iodine, or alcohol.
3. Immediately consult a doctor and request an injection of rabies, so you do not get rabies.
Also, be careful not to do the following when you are bitten by a dog.
1. When cleaning a bite wound, you should not touch the wound with your bare hands.
2. Don’t use turmeric or chili on bite wounds.
3. Do not give coffee, lemons, soil, oil, herbal remedies, lime or betel leaves on the wound.
4. Don’t cover the wound with a bandage, and don’t sew dog bite wounds.
Those are some things to be aware of when you are bitten by a dog. Before being bitten, it’s a good idea to always avoid eye contact when meeting stray dogs on the road. Do not disturb dogs that are sedan sleeping, eating, or chewing on bones. Don’t show your back or run away too, or they will decide to chase you.